Sunday, February 21, 2010

Waste not, want not

I can't stand to waste things. No, I don't think you understand. You see, I also don't like clutter. I don't want things in my house that are of no use. Yet I can't just throw things away. If I am going to get rid of something it has to go to good use. I donate a LOT of stuff to Goodwill. I eat all of my leftovers. I scrapbook. And everything else is tucked away out of sight in all the nooks and crannies of the house.

I was reading this article in Cooking Light magazine common mistakes people make when cooking or baking. I thought to myself, "Hmmm...perhaps this will help me figure out why my whole wheat bread looks nothing like a loaf of bread when I am done baking it."  The article suggested fresh was best when it comes to essential baking ingredients like baking soda and baking powder. I thought of this while I was at the grocery store and broke down and paid $3 to invest in some new baking soda and baking powder because I figured it had probably been more than 6 months since I bought those ingredients....and I really want to make a good loaf of bread.  When I got home I pulled the old containers out of the cabinet and just out of curiosity I checked the expiration date.....

MARCH 2004!?!

Yes, that was 6 YEARS ago, not 6 months ago. And yet I still didn't want to toss it out....it looked perfectly good. A little Googling and I come to find out that it is a great way to take the stink out of your trash cans.  Ahhhh, I feel better now.

Do I have a problem?

2 comments:

  1. i know we are related!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I feel the same way. I hate to waste food, but I am not a fan of most leftovers. I am lucky that my husband is ;)

    ReplyDelete